Subscribe on iTunes, SoundCloud, Google Play or Stitcher.
Support Sound Design Live on Patreon.
In this episode of Sound Design Live I talk with Behringer X32 expert Drew Brashler. We answer loads of questions about the X32 and discuss his work with Christ’s Church of the Valley. I asked:
- What are the biggest mistakes you see people making who are new to working with the X32?
- What are the main differences between X32 and M32?
- How do you set up the X32 for rock-solid wireless control?
- How do you use the X32 as a speaker processor?
- How do you a complete console backup to USB drive?
- Is the Combinator a useful effect? Why is the attack knob backwards?
- What’s the difference between scenes, cues, and snippets?
- What are some pros and cons of using Waves Multirack Native vs Soundgrid with the X-WSG IO card?
- I once heard that in older versions of the x32 the outputs were not phase aligned. Does that have any merit?
- Are there any issues with latency with the normal channel strip compressor?
- Can I use the Midas DL32 with the X32 as a budget M32?
- Go I go pre-fade post-EQ-dynamics through MADI directly into another X32?
- All music in this episode by Shutterwax.
- Drew’s tips for setting up a killer wireless network for mixing:
- Use a dedicated network.
- Go wired with a manual IP address.
- Password protect your audio network.
- Make sure you have line of sight with your router’s antenna.
- Add an antenna from wa5vjb.
- Behringer X32 Wifi Setup & Networking Guide
- Scenes save and recall everything. There is a momentary break in audio throughput.
- Snippets save specific things like a channel mute or fader move.
- Cues can load both of those.
- Linksys WRT54G and DDWRT firmware
- Drew Brashler’s Youtube page
- Midas DL32
- X32 Snippets, Scenes, and Cues
- Smaart audio analyzer
- Who you surround yourself with is who you will end up being.
- Don’t be afraid to ask a question, but always be careful who you ask that question to.
- Please password protect your audio network. Please, please, please.
- The Apple Airport Express doesn’t like to be disconnected from the internet. You will have issues with routing.
- If you want to give yourself a full picture of what the room is sounding like, you need to walk.