Subscribe on iTunes, SoundCloud, or Stitcher.
Support Sound Design Live on Patreon.
In this episode of the Sound Design Live podcast I talk with Rick Goetz, the founder of Music Consultant, about music marketing, promotion, and consulting. Rick has worked with Kid Rock, Matchbox 20, Dream Theatre, and Pantera. We discuss the top career mistakes that musicians make, what it means to create an enduring lifelong career in audio, and how to expand your opportunities to start playing at a higher level.
I don’t know how to say this more emphatically: you need to figure out where money is made.
Notes from the podcast:
- All music in this episode by episode by RapBau.
- Music Consultant is a boutique marketing firm specializing in developing enduring artist careers.
- The Runaways
- Derek Sivers
- Being an entrepreneur of any kind is about making sure you have your eye on that next lily pad you’re going to jump on, because the one you are on is almost always sinking.
- When you are a guy that says “No” 99% of the time for a living, you don’t necessarily get people on the phone anymore when you don’t have a big bank behind you.
- Being an ex-A&R guy is like being a cop in prison.
- If you just want to be famous, there are easier ways to do that.
- The music business was set up by gamblers and thieves.
- The music business will always have a 1%. Making a living at it is a real triumph.
- There are a lot of back doors in to work if you have a secondary skill set.